Mac and CheeseEdit
This is a gourmet baked mac and cheese recipe. Yum!
- 1 lb rotelle pasta ( They look like wagon wheels)
- 3/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded ( I used an aged 5 year old variety)
- 1/2 lb gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup asiago cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk ( I used 2%)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup panko ( Japanese Bread Crumbs)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 3 quart rectangular baking dish with non-stick spray. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling.
- Toss all the shredded cheeses together in a large bowl, set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth and slightly bubbly.
- In a thin stream, whisk in the milk. Stir in the onion powder, salt, nutmeg, dried mustard and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in 2 1/2 cups of the cheese mixture and stir until smooth. Cover to retain the heat.
- Once water boils, add pasta. Cook until your desired doneness, then drain. In the pasta container, stir together the cooked pasta and cheese sauce.
- Pour half of the mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle with a generous cup of the reserved cheese. Spoon remaining cheese-covered pasta into the dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Add 1 cup of Japanese Panko Bread crumbs to the top of mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the Panko crumbs are lightly browned and the cheese is bubbly. Cool slightly before serving.