|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Mascarpone. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WikiCheese, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|
Mascarpone  is an Italian cheese made from cream, coagulated with citric acid or acetic acid. After denaturation, whey is removed without pressing or aging. One can manufacture mascarpone by using cream and tartaric acid, citric acid, or even lemon juice.
Mascarpone is recognized as Prodotto agroalimentare tradizionale (traditional regional food products).
Mascarpone is milky-white in color and is easily spread. It is used in various dishes of the Lombardy region of Italy, where it is a specialty. It is a main ingredient of modern Tiramisu. It is sometimes used instead of butter or Parmesan cheese to thicken and enrich risotto.
Mascarpone originated in the area between Lodi and Abbiategrasso, Italy, southwest of Milan, probably in the late 16th or early 17th century. The name is said to come from mascarpa, a milk product made from the whey of stracchino (shortly-aged cheese), or from mascarpia, the word in the local dialect for ricotta (although mascarpone is not made from whey, as ricotta is). Ricotta is sweet and very sour.
- ↑ "Voluptuous mascarpone enhances sweet or savory". http://www2.timesdispatch.com/lifestyles/2008/feb/24/-rtd_2008_02_24_0026-ar-137257/. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- ↑ "Mascarpone Artigianale" (in Italian). http://www.buonalombardia.it/browse.asp?goto=11980. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- ↑ Turismo Provincia di Lodi (2004). "Mascarpone" (in Italian). http://www.turismo.provincia.lodi.it/TPL_gastronomia_NOTIZIA_1.asp?IDNotizia=33&IDCategoria=633. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- ↑ Instructions for making your own fresh mascarpone from University of Cincinnati Clermont College
- ↑ Regione Lombardia. "Elenco dei prodotti agroalimentari tradizionali della Regione Lombardia – Quinta revisione" (in Italian). p. 6. http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:srBdc_r5NkYJ:www.provincia.pv.it/provinciapv/portalpublicdownload/downloadFile%3FportalId%3D1%26fileName%3D01379_01_it.pdf%26isVersion%3Df%26publicArea%3Dt+site:www.provincia.pv.it+prodotti+agroalimentari+tradizionali+lombardia&hl=it&gl=it&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShMqYq-m4PWB-SReP6we516nVBH7-bc5RQRv9iS4EFcT8mC9TLFD09pHOwsJ-gE1ZUvxwtcSlhyldXYUgbFd5dOqTMenTZQ1n7ikAUqUIvO-17sZ05PnaF4gmb0RQkugJZbE7Jp&sig=AHIEtbRXiIQ40LnEp2rWa5gqRqtxEPC5Vg. Retrieved 22 September 2011.